Buddist Proverb

Sunday, June 9, 2013

CEP 812: My info Diet

Adding to my info diet was a little difficult.  I couldn't think about what else I wanted to know.  My main interest for a while has been educational technology and flipping my classroom.  That being said I decided to focus on some of the "problems" I had while teaching and where education is going besides the technology route.  How did I increase my info diet?  Well I decided to use Twitter and I chose to follow Education Next, We are Teachers  and  Khan Academy.  Khan Academy promotes lifelong learning and it can be used as a classroom research.  Our students can sign up for free, watch video, learn new things and review recommendations based on what you have already complete.  Education Next publishes an quarterly journal that is focused on education reform and the potential for major changes in education.  I chose Education Next because of its editorial view on education.  I didn't want another source that provides the weekly or monthly trends in education.   I decided to follow We are Teachers in the hope that it will inspire me to try something new.  Maybe I can forgo my need for a flipped classroom or maybe I can get ideas on how to improve and make it happen faster.  Overall my goal is to grow as an individual and as a teacher.  I wanted to select pages or Twitter members that I could learn from and that will challenge me to be better.  I looked at several that also addressed some of my classroom problems but they haven been updated in years! The problems and issues I've faced in my classroom include lack of innovation/imagination, social learning, some dysfunctional classroom management with my co-teacher and at times a lack of flow through a lesson.  In my opinion all of these sites have the ability to help me change my problems.

1 comment:

  1. Great choice! I am a huge fan of Khan Academy. I have found it to be a useful supplement to my own children's education. It is interesting to see how much content they add each month--it is really a treasure trove! I'm glad to see you stretch beyond what you originally wanted to know--this is our goal--be intentional in the change you want to see-push yourself to explore something new. Keep adding to your "diet" and adjusting what you "feed" yourself--this is critical as we navigate the ever changing digital landscape!

    ReplyDelete