Buddist Proverb

Sunday, June 2, 2013

How can we use technologies to support students’ special learning needs?

For this assignment I chose to focus on something that is close to my heart.  I conducted some research about students with learning disabilities.  Over the past 20 years that I have been in school I've compared myself to other students.  Approximately fifteen years ago, I was diagnosed with a learning disability.  As a child I didn't know much but as I grew as a student it became more and more aware of how it affected my learning.  With the advancements in technology, accommodations can be made to help all students with learning disabilities.

Based on my research most of the technology used with LD students consists of computers and recordings.  According to Maccini, Gagnon and Hughes, 
"Three practices appear promising for educating students with LD: (a) hypertext and hyper-media software programs; (b) videodisc instruction involving contextualized learning; and (c) multimedia software." 
I will be uses this as a guideline for choice of technology that is available today.  Most of the other research I looked at was outdated and referred to "videodisc instruction" as the preferred application of technology for students with learning disabilities.

  In the 21st century there are tens if not hundreds of methods that can be used.  Depending on the type of disability the student can use anything from Dragon Naturally Speaking, to help them take verbal notes and "write" essays, to screen readers and audio books.  Imagine setting a student up with a laptop that has access to everything they need to be successful in all of their subjects. For the purpose of this assignment I'm going to focus on the MacBook.  All MacBooks have a built in  Voice Over function.  Voice Over has several different uses as it was originally intended to assist people who are blind or have limited vision.  Voice Over will read webpages, emails, word processing documents, calendars, etc.  This will come in hand for LD students like me who have a hard time with lengthy text or who get caught up on words that they don't know.  The use of a laptop would give a student with a learning disability access to everything from digital textbooks to electronic math worksheets. The access would also allow the student to self accommodate in class.  Let's get all students to work with 21st Century skills.  




References:
Maccini, P., Gagnon, J. C., & Hughes, C. A. (2002). Technology-based practices for secondary students with learning disabilities. Learning Disability Quarterly, 25(4), 247-262. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1511356

Bryant, D. P., Erin, J., Lock, R., Resta, P. E., & Allan, J. M. (1998). Infusing a teacher preparation program in learning disabilities with assistive technology. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 31(1), 55-66. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.msu.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/62555773?accountid=12598

Woodward, J., & Gersten, R. (1992). Innovative technology for secondary students with learning disabilities. Exceptional Children, 58(5), 407-407. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.msu.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/201212049?accountid=12598

Ellsworth, N. J. (1993). Technology and education: Applications for students with learning disabilities. Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 4(2), 45-51. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.msu.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/62786475?accountid=12598

2 comments:

  1. Your post really interested me. I don't have a lot of students with physical abilities but I do have students who have a very hard time transferring their thoughts to paper because of focus issues. I think that the technology you posted works for a wide range of limitations among students. I wish their was a time/money friendly way to get this technology into the hands of more students that need it. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your choice for technology--Apple has been a leader in providing users with built in universal access--a nice option for anyone who is learning. I was a special education teacher for 15 years and I agree that Dragon is a great application--it is getting better and better. I think another option to consider is the advancement in mobile devices--the anytime, anywhere access has greatly impacted the lives of those with Learning Disabilities. Congrats to you for understanding your strengths and weaknesses!

    ReplyDelete